Turbine logo

July 2013

The Turbine logo design was a very rewarding project. It took a lot of intense iterations, but I’m really pleased with the final outcome. The client, Matthew Stibbe, wrote about his experience of this logo design project on the Turbine blog.

Matthew’s post shows more of the inspirational resources that he sent me at the beginning of the project, I then set about trying to work on something ‘T’-focused with a Mondrian influence.

 

Sketches of Ts and As in a notebook with more polished vector drawings of the same thing

Mondrian and ‘T’-focused sketches and vector mockups

Fairly early-on, I’d decided that I wanted to use the lovely Supria Sans as the brand typeface. It has a lovely, slightly soft, uniformity when used in all caps, but has a lot of character in the lowercase which makes for exciting body copy.

We established that this wasn’t the direction we wanted, it was too similar to another logo, and containing a T within the logo was repetitive when it was usually going to be placed alongside the word ‘Turbine’. We then started to focus on a more abstract logo mark.

Rows of abstract circles containing turbine blade shapes

Looking at containing the shapes of turbine blades inside a circle

The shape that I settled on, based on the turbine blades, was made to look like a twisted circle inside the containing circle, to give the shape more movement. The blues were strong colours, but were quite conservative and didn’t jump out off the page.

The same blue logo, in different sizes, against grey, black, blue and white backgrounds

Exploring a blue colour scheme in different sizes against different possible background colours

The more turquoise blue was starting to bring the logo to life, but it didn’t stand out well enough against the primary blue background colour that I wanted to use for the header of the website.

 

Rows of abstract circles containing blades, in different colours

Looking at more shapes, colour schemes and exploring the blades outside of the circle

I went back a step to look at the blade shape again, to establish that it was really what we wanted. I then started looking at more colour schemes, based around blue and green, and how they’d work against different background colours.

the final circle logo in different sizes against different backgroundsWe finally settled on a green-based logo which would be more noticeable, visible and unusual against a blue background. I used high-contrasting green colours so the blade shapes inside the circle stood out.

the Turbine website header, showing the navigation and logo

the final logo in place in the header of the Turbine website

The final logo is something I’m still pleased with nearly a year later. These designs don’t show the entirety of my design process (there’s probably five times the images for that!) but they do show a lot of my thinking behind the design.

In progress