A few weeks ago I gave a workshop in New Zealand about designing inclusive content and accessible design. Afterwards, I was asked for recommended reading on accessible animation. These are a bunch of bookmarks I’ve stored up, and what I’d recommend to get started on designing and building animations in an inclusive way:
- Your Interactive Makes Me Sick by Eileen Webb.
- Patterns and Purpose, an Excerpt from Animation at Work by Rachel Nabors.
- Designing Safer Web Animation For Motion Sensitivity by Val Head.
- Designing Interface Animation: an Interview with Val Head by Mica McPheeters and Caren Litherland.
- An Introduction to the Reduced Motion Media Query by Eric Bailey.
Infinite Canvas 6: Vestibular Disorders and Accessible Animation Rachel Nabors interviews Greg Tarnoff.
To stay updated on the topic, I’d really recommend you follow Val Head and Rachel Nabors. One of these days I’ll add comments to my blog so folks can add their own suggestions, but if you’ve got any further recommendations, please tweet me!